Thursday, October 30, 2008

KNOW YOUR MEDICINES!!

I sent the following letter to various Omaha news stations today. I felt the incident needed to be shared. While this may not make the televised news, I thought you all might enjoy hearing about our incident at the Wal*Mart pharmacy.


Here is the story as I sent it out:


Yesterday, after picking up a prescription from Wal*Mart for my 15 month old baby's eye infection, I noticed something strange on the prescription label. Though the medication was for eye infection, clearly typed on the label were the directions: "INSTILL ONE DROP INTO RIGHT EAR THREE TIMES DAILY FOR 5 DAYS."


This was interesting on several levels. Obviously, a drop in the ear would not cure the eye infection, but I was also intrigued because my daughter's infection was in both eyes and not only the right.



When I brought the mislabeling to the pharmacist's attention, she was flabbergasted and fixed the label to read "... IN THE RIGHT EYE..."I then asked her why just the right- when it had been both eyes that were affected. She realized her mistake and seemed embarrassed as she said, "oh- the doctor's instructions said to the affected area..."



She tried to snatch away the medicine to re-label it yet another time, but I told her I was in a hurry and just needed to make sure there was enough in there for both eyes.



As I was walking away, I wondered how terribly this could have gone awry if, perchance, a heart medication was given to an elderly person with incorrect directions to take as a suppository (for example). I don't know if this interests you (as a story), but I feel compelled to tell others to make sure they understand how to take their medicine in case of pharmacy error.



The pharmacy in question is the 132nd and L st. Wal*Mart. Thank you for your time, and let me know if you ever want to use this story. I will keep the evidence :)



Anyone think I have a chance at a law suit?! J/K

1 comment:

The Clarks said...

wow! that is nutz! I think you have a good lawsuit! Go for it!:)

All Around the World

Can You Beat Me?

Thank you, please come again!!