Saturday, February 19, 2011

Update... Finally!

Well, I can't believe the last thing I posted on here was the Pumpkin Patch in the fall! so much time has passed, and it is now February, and we are on the verge of spring. There are actually kids outside playing in the sunshine right now.

One interesting thing to note, there was one pumpkin that we got at the pumpkin patch that was a reddish orange with a little bit of green. It was huge, and we got a number of compliments on it while it sat on our mantel. Well, the thing is STILL not rotten. I have stored it in Chloe's closet, because it is still perfectly good. I am starting to think it may be an enormous gourd. Wouldn't that be cool?! Well, I think so. I could keep decorating with it for years! I keep thinking I'll check on it one of these days and it will have a soft spot or something, but so far, nothing. It's just as pretty as ever. Crazy.

Chloe's health has been great. She has just gotten stronger and smarter, and those motor skills and behavior concerns we were so worried about have gotten better every day, and now she's doing better than a lot of kids in her age group! Her behavior is fantastic. She was asked to be a 'model' kid in a speech and social skills preschool group, to help a few delayed kids out. I LOVE this class, because it is teaching her how to share and giving her s social outlet where she can learn to be a part of a little group- sitting down when the teacher says, asking, and taking turns etc. It also is nice to be a part of something that is helping the delayed kids out too, and lets be honest, it's a good feeling to watch her in a little group and see that she's doing great. I get to spy through two way glass. It's so funny to watch and not be able to say anything, especially if she's doing something naughty ;)

The other day we had beautiful springy weather, and all our hard work in Physical Therapy paid off when Chloe rode her tricycle for the first time all by herself!! She steered and peddled and everything. I was so proud of her and I was smiling so long my cheeks hurt. It's really something to see her working week after week on this skill, starting with a really easy tricycle, and advancing to a more normal one, and now able to ride her little radio flier. She was just ecstatic too, wind blowing in her face. She never wanted to go home! That was such a wonderful day, and I am looking so forward to taking her out all the time riding on that little thing!

Another skill I am proud of is that Chloe is reading at about a normal 1st grade level! Crazy. I am proud of this, but Chloe couldn't really care less. If you ask her what she does best, she will get excited and say that she can "run REALLLY fast and jump REALLY far." It's so cute that she loves doing these things. Her left ankle is wobbly, and weaker (left over from this Summer... and whatever happened with the seizure and the temporary paralysis) and she still trips a lot and hits her head too much, so her running as fast as she can and jumping off furniture doesn't exactly make me excited, but I always act impressed and try to cringe behind her back. We have been working a lot on teaching her to catch herself and protect her face when she falls. I trip her and get her to throw out her arms repeatedly (over a soft blanket or something). I feel like little Chloe is in training for the Olympics or something, with how much of our play is centered on 'practicing' different skills. But I think I camouflage it well, and Chloe just thinks she has a mommy that plays with her a lot.

She is happy as can be, and SO social. Chloe will greet everyone at church (or anywhere we go) saying "HI! What's YOUR name?!" Then she tells them "My name's Chloe Lynae Funk." When she's in a social situation with a few kids that are old enough to understand her, she sometimes tries to tell them all what to do. She is just starting to get into playing with other kids and interacting in a way that can be considered "playing WITH each other.'' She's lucky on the days that we have friends to play with. Too much of the time, Chloe has a several hours at a time to play all by herself. Because of this, her stuffed animals all have names, personalities, and voices. She says things to them like "Oh, Bear... look at my fairy wings, I look sooooo beautiful." To which I am thrilled to hear Bear reply "Oh WOW Chloe. You are really beauuuutiful!" I have noticed that she also has named her hands "boy hand" and "girl hand," and they are her friends too. They complete tasks for her, and she thanks them, and gets entertained by them. Whatever she's doing, she always has about 20 little "friends" with her. A lot of days, I wish we had a sibling for her. Maybe someday we will be blessed with another. Until then, she is making playmates out of everything short of the wall. I love listening to "their" conversations in there.

Zach is still looking for a better job, and we feel we have been so blessed to stay 'afloat' with the one he's got. He has had a lot of interesting interviews, and we have a couple irons in the fire right now. It will be very interesting to see which one proves to change our life, and where we will move when that happens.

I have been REALLY struggling with boredom and winter gloominess. There is less to do this year. We have been keeping away from sick people (including the Omaha Children's Museum), and we have had no car all this time. I actually watched the ENTIRE 7 seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer the last couple months. I don't care who judges me for this. I LOVE Buffy. It's just the funnest TV series ever... but I am so grateful for the change in weather that will allow us to get out more. I have been getting a little less germ-a-phobic lately.... at least for colds. A friend of mine reminded me that we catch a bunch of colds when we're young, and then we become immune to them. She reminded me that we never catch the same cold twice. I had forgotten that. So, my new philosophy is to expose her to normal colds (when she's well), but to stay away from flu and viral bugs, and to stay home and rest when Chloe is sick. When she's well, I allow her to go places without sanitizing every minute or two when she's touching things. I am trying to limit sickness to one thing at a time (impossible to ensure of course- but I try), and make sure to give her long naps and early bedtimes, and tons of vitamin c and fluid when she does get sick...

This new philosophy is actually helping me feel a lot less stressed lately.

I know I sound like a crazy person to some people. I think I am crazier than last year- with all we went through and all the added worries we have had. I know that with all the months that pass event free (health wise) we worry a little less. The last year has definitely changed my perspective on life, health, friends, and family. I also know that when Zach gets a better job and we have a little more financial security (and HELLO, health insurance for me and Zach), my stress levels will go waaaay down, so I'm looking forward to that.

Well, that sums up how we are doing. I guess I'll just post a whole bunch of pictures on here, so everyone can see what we've been up to the last 5 months or so.

No comments:

All Around the World

Can You Beat Me?

Thank you, please come again!!