I made a chocolate cake on Saturday night and had a big piece. I felt like it was Ms. Trunchbull's chocolate cake in my kitchen. It was one of those boxed chocolate cakes and I used chocolate frosting from a tub. It was delicious.
Well I am happy to announce that after Zach and I ate our one big piece, I scooped the whole chocolate cake into a dingy Wal*Mart bag, and double knotted it like a load of poopy diapers, and threw it into the trash! I know that I have never done anything like that in my life, and it felt really good.
We are sort of rethinking the way we have been eating lately. I have been listening to this book on tape called "Ultra Metabolism" by Paul Hyman." I have not gotten very far, but I am learning why it is important to eliminate any foods containing "super fats" or "super sugars." We are currently ridding our cupboard of anything with high fructose corn syrup, or hydrogenated soybean oil (for example).
Also, I have stopped consuming fake sweeteners. According to Dr. Hyman, these fake sugars make your body think something caloric is coming along, and so you create insuline. When no calories are found, (because the Coke Zero you just drank had none), you feel hungry (because of the insuline you created when you tasted something sweet), and your body starts to crave sugar! (or simple carbs- ie white bread/pasta). You make too much insuline and can become prediabetic! It makes so much sense!
Dr. Hyman says that the part of your brain that tells you that you need food is in the same area as the "fight or flight response." He says that if you let yourself get to the panic point (fight or flight) between you and a bagel- the bagel always wins. It's a survival mechinism.
This diet is a really strict one, and I will not be following it cold turkey (my excuse is that I am nursing). For now, I have just eliminated high fructose corn syrup (btw this is a main ingrediant in Light Yoplait Yogurt)! We have also stopped eating anything 3 hrs before bedtime. Dr. Hyman says that eating and then sleeping is the way Sumo wrestlers get to be 300-400 lbs!
In addition, we have purchased annual Zoo passes! We went for a while on Saturday, and I felt like I got a great workout just walking around for a couple hours. There are a lot of pretty steep hills, and the animals are all spread out, so I think this will be a really good way to lose weight. When I go to the mall to walk, I just don't get much exercise ("oooo look at this Chloe" or "Free samples at Cinnabon! Hot darn!"). When I weighed myself the day after the zoo, I had lost 1.5 lbs!
Hopefully this works for us.

No comments:
Post a Comment