As many of you know, I have several great dentists in my family (and also a few dentists in training), so I have always considered myself somewhat familiar with dentistry. Today, however, all I thought I knew about going to the dentist changed.
The reason I decided to go to the dentist today is because I don't have insurance, but I do qualify for a weird medicaid co-pay situation. If we (as a family) spend $436.28 in a month (don't ask me how they came up with that co-pay amount... RANDOM!) then we are approved for medicaid for the rest of the month. When we were informed of this co-pay situation through the mail, we thought that there was no way (unless we were hospitalized) that we would ever meet that co-pay and be covered. Then I thought of a great idea! I decided to have everything done that I possibly needed to get done, all at once. That way some of it would be covered. I decided that in May, and we had all sorts of medical appointments. This is how we ended up discovering that Zach has Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. With the discovery of Zach's condition, we ended up "buying" ourself another month worth of insurance (OUCH).
So, back to the story, this morning I wondered to myself if there was any other appointment that I should take advantage of. Because I get free dental work with my family, it never even occured to me to try to see a dentist on medicaid. I didn't even go when I was pregnant. I thought they would give me metal fillings or something (ick). But times have changed, and I guess they don't do that anymore. I googled "DDS Omaha" and Dr. Christopher Stanosheck was the closest professional to where we live that was not an oral surgeon or something like that. I did another google search on his name and saw that he was a Creighton graduate. "Good enough for me" I thought.
When I called, the receptionist said that they were currently taking appointments for July. When I asked for a referral to another good dentist, she suddenly was able to get me and Zach both in that morning! We had to rush, actually, to make the appointments.
I will now describe the amazing dental appointment.
I walked in to the most beautiful office I have ever been in. I thought, "Wait... am I in La Jolla getting a nose job?" The receptionist offered me bottled water or juice, and I filled out a little pamphlet style paperwork on fancy paper. Everything was so luxerious. The floor tiles, the counters, and especially the layout of the exam rooms (so spacious!). Zach came out when I got there (already done with his appointment), and he was beaming. He was NOT wanting to go to the dentist in the first place, so I knew I was in for a treat.
I was led to the back by a stylish little blond assistant. I was scanned by a state of the art 360 degree digital x-ray machine (up to 90% less radiation than regular x-ray machines). The assistant took me to the exam room chair, and I stood there with my jaw dropped. It was a very stylish chair. There was a flat screen T.V. that was attached by the foot of the chair.
The assistant took more digital x-rays, but I didn't need a lead apron, and she didn't need to leave the room. That's when the dentist came in. He brought up all my x-rays on the T.V. screen and showed me and explained in detail (complete with full definitions) as he reviewed my x-rays. He had some really neat software that let him zoom in and make things clearer in certain areas. After this, he used a little "toothbrush sized" digital camera to take stills of the exterior of my teeth. Then he showed me each tooth- complete with more explinations- telling me exactly what he could do about every blemish. He was so confident, and kept saying "that will be so easy to fix." I was already sold. "LETS DO THIS THING!" I thought enthusiastically.
If I thought the happy surprises were over I was so wrong. The next little gadget he used was a replacement for "the hook." You know the hook... the little metal hook that dentists pull on your teeth with to check if they are soft. I think that's the most awful feeling... I always think that thing is going to pop right through my tooth and then the dentist will say "oh- guess that one needs a root canal!" I also always imagine mind altering pain with this. Well, Dr. Stanosheck has this little plastic laser beam tipped hook! He merely runs it over your tooth and it beeps when it detects abnormalities or cavities. I much prefer this tool!
Just wait till you hear what came next. He pulled out this soft rubber mouth piece. He explained to me how important it is to keep the teeth dry when they are being filled (with fillings), and informed me that this thing would keep my mouth open, suction out the spit, AND light up my whole mouth! WHAT?!?!?! I laughed out loud in delight at this. Sure enough, it also keeps the tongue out of the way, and best of all, it's actually comfortable! No cotton logs this time! He also put sunglasses on me for the procedure, and wore those cool binocular zoom goggles (like my uncles have) as he worked. He was so confident, and because of all these technological wonders, I was out of there in only one hour! He fixed small things on at least 8-9 (or more) teeth. Even though I had not been to the dentist in over 2 yrs, and I don't floss, I didn't have any other problems. He also cleaned my teeth right there when we were done. He scraped them over really well, and his assistant used the polisher thing and flossed me. I really couldn't believe how fast the whole thing went, and how comfortable it was. My bite feels great, and my teeth have no little grey spots anywhere! He even went the extra mile and made us both mouth guards to use as bleaching trays! We just have to pay 30$ for the bleach!!! What a great deal!!!!
Zach had a few more little problems (evidently he is a tooth grinder), but on a whole we both had very healthy teeth. We both really enjoyed getting to see our teeth and understand more about them. I have tried to see my teeth so many times... to no avail. I really liked being finally introduced!
OH! And they also gave me a piping hot steaming lemony scented little towel when it was all over. I really felt like I had been to a day at the spa.
Not to be forgotten, my new hero (Dr. Stanosheck) "the best dentist in the midwest," complimented me on the quality of my fillings. He said, "Whoever did these did a really good job. These are perfect." So, in closing (my uncles and grandpa), even in spite of your not as flashy as this guy-ness... I would like to thank you (if you happen to read this) for the top of the line work you have done on my mouth thus far. Also, an advanced thank you for any future work I beg of you. As I said in the beginning... insurance is not a privilege I enjoy every month.
To learn more about this fabulous practice, Click Here.

2 comments:
That is histerical. What a day! The dentist is something we definitely need to do too.
Evidently, in case any of you are wondering, my brother in law Ben Hill (dentist in training) has purchased one of these all in one mouth holder opener, suctioner, light up devices (called an iso-light I am told) and also loves using it. SO, when he is done with school (or before, if you want to go to the school for dental work), you can patronise him and see what I mean about that cool product!
Post a Comment