Preface: last week church was cancelled becuase a tornado blew through town and took out the power in part of the city in the middle of the night.
7:30 this morning: I had just finished making Zach his requested Father's Day breakfast (scrambled eggs with ham and cheese, and english muffins with butter and jam- washed down with BOTH orange juice AND a big glass of Nesquik chocolate milk). I noticed a really bad looking storm brewing outside. It got weirdly dark and little pieces of branches and things were flying around. Rain started pounding, and we heard hail! Soon it turned into a regular storm, and then dissipated out. By 9 AM, the weather was bearable. Church started at 9:30am, so we got in the car and headed over there at about 9:25am (What can I say... I am my mother's daughter).
9:40 AM- After I insisted on finishing my makeup in the car, we walked into the chapel. It was the strangest thing that has ever happened at church. The first thing we noticed was that the lights were off in the foyer. At first I thought "Is church cancelled again?? No... there are cars here..."
We walked into the foyer and the doors to the chapel were open. It took a minute for our eyes to adjust to the dimness in the room. All we could see were flashlights skimming the floor. "Is the church being robbed?" immidiately popped into my head.Soon we realized that the lights were off, but church was going on anyways. They were passing the sacrament using flashlights. Apparently that the organist (playing the piano) was wearing a spellunking flashlight on her head so she could see the music. They had a couple inadequate lanterns by the pulpit, and the emergency exits were open to let in a tiny bit of light. They just had the 'service' long enough to give everyone sacrament, and let the primary children sing (in the dark) to their fathers for fathers day. I have to add that the children were uncharacteristicly silent for this sacrament meeting! We just turned around and walked out. It was way too weird. We went to another ward.
Later, I talked to some people who said it was really neat. I guess you had to be there for the whole thing... and not just walk into the middle of that. We didn't "feel it" ... but it made for a pretty eventful fathers day.
After church (at the other ward), the weather had turned and this was suddenly the most beautiful day of the year! Not a cloud in the sky. The sun was hot, and the air was cool.
We went home and had Zach's requested dinner, which was roast with homemade noodles served over mashed potatos, with a side of peas.

It was not something I would have ever made if he did not ask for it. Mmmmm ... carboriffic! I gave Zach his father's day present, and after we got the baby down, we settled in for a long sabbath nap. We seriously slept from 4:30PM to 7 PM. We are going to be up all night.
And that's our story! Happy Father's Day everyone!



2 comments:
Hey, cute blog! Peter told me about church in the dark. That is crazy. AND the tornado. And the flooding in Iowa. Seriously scary with all of these weather issues. I believe in global warming... and that we're definitely living in the last days. I'll be home in 13 days. Yay! I miss the Pete :)
You must help me get a cuter background for my blog! Aiuto! That means help in Italian...
Post a Comment